During the earlier years of the 20th century, it was comparatively common for departmental dissertations to contain, even in their published versions, brief biographies of their authors. The 'stories' of these students, told here in their own words (even if in the third person), comprise an irreplaceable resource for the study of the history of the department--and of the university.
We have generally refrained from unifying the references or modernizing the language in these paragraphs, preferring to let their writers speak for themselves. The extant biographies are reproduced below in order of the year in which the dissertations were published.
(You may enjoy trying out your Latin on Father Trahey's 1904 biography, directly below!)
Iacobus Iosephus Trahey natus sum urbe vulgo dicta Michigan City, Indiana, anno 1875. Fidem profiteor Catholicam Ronam. Primis litterarum rudimentis imbutus scholam parochialem ecclesiae nomine Sanctae Mariae adnexam aliquantum temporis frequentavi. Anno 1893 ad Universitatem Nostram Dominam, Indiana, me contuli, ibique sex per annos in studium artium liberalium incubui. Anno 1899 Artium Baccalaureus renuntiatus sum, eodemque anno nomen dedi Societati Congregationi a Sancta Cruce dictae. Denique anno 1900 ad Universitatem Americae Catholicam, Washingtonii, migravi, ubi anno 1903 mense Decembri sacris sum initiatus, solitisque studiis peractis anno 1904 mense Iunio ad gradum in Philosophia Doctoris rite sum provectus.
The Rev. John James Jepson, S. S., was born in Wheeling, W. Va., February 12, 1882, and was educated in the Cathedral Parochial School of the Sisters of St. Joseph till September, 1897, when he entered the freshman class at St. Charles College, Ellicott City, Md. From this institution he was graduated in 1901. He made his theological studies in St. Mary's University, Baltimore, Md., receiving the degree of Bachelor of Arts, 1902; Master of Arts, 1903; Bachelor of Theology, 1906. During the scholastic years, 1906-1911, he taught Latin and English at St. Charles College, and since October, 1912, has been a graduate student at the Catholic University of America under Dr. Maguire, Dr. Bolling, Dr. O'Connor, and Dr. McCarthy.
[Herbert Francis Wright, t]he author of this dissertation[,] was born in Washington, DC, March 28, 1892, and received his primary education in the public schools, his high school education in the Georgetown College Preparatory School (1903-1907), and his college education at Georgetown University (1907-1911), from which institution he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts in June, 1911. Since October, 1911, he has been a graduate student at the Catholic University of America under Rev. Dr. John Damen Maguire (Latin Language and Literature), Dr. George Melville Bolling (Greek Language and Literature and Comparative Philology), Dr. John Bartholomew O'Connor (Greek Language and Literature), and Rev. Dr. Thomas Edward Shields (Education), receiving the degree of Master of Arts in June, 1912.
[The Rev. Edwin J. Auweiler, O. F. M., t]he writer of this dissertation[,] was born in Bonn, Rhine-Prussia, July 16, 1881. He received his primary education at the public schools of his native city and subsequently took a course of studies at the commercial school conducted under the auspices of the Chamber of Commerce of the same city (1895-1898). In 1898 he began his classical studies under private instructors and completed these studies at St. Francis Seraphicus College, Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1901. In the same year he entered the Order of Friars Minor and followed the courses in Philosophy and Theology in the houses of study of his Order from 1901-1909. From 1909-1912 he taught the Classics at St. Francis College in Cincinnati and from 1914-1917 at the College of the Holy Land in Washington, DC. He has been a graduate student at the Catholic University of America since 1914 under Dr. Maguire, Dr. Gleis and Dr. O'Connor.
Sister Mary Evaristus Moran was born in Boston, Mass., August 22, 1870. After graduating from the Girls' High School and Advanced High School of Boston, June, 1889, she entered the Novitiate of the Sisters of Charity, Halifax, NS, where she completed her Normal School training and obtained a Head Master's License to teach in the public schools of Nova Scotia. From 1891 to 1915 she was connected with St. Patrick's High School, Halifax, first as Assistant Teacher and later as Principal. In 1910 she obtained the degree Bachelor of Arts, First Division, from the University of London, England; and in 1915, the degree Master of Arts from Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS. The year 1915-1916 was spent in residence at the Catholic Sisters College, Catholic University of America. The writer is happy to have this opportunity to express her deep appreciation of the work done under J. B. O'Connor, Ph.D., of the Catholic University of America, and to acknowledge gratefully her indebtedness to him for the subject of the thesis and for his kindly assistance and encouragement in its preparation.
The writer of this dissertation, Sister Mary Rosaria Gorman, was born in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, June 21, 1880. She received her early education in the Public Schools of that Province, and was graduated from St. Patrick's Girls' High School, Halifax, NS, in 1897. In 1912 she obtained a Head Master's License to teach in the Nova Scotia schools. From 1902 to 1910, she was Assistant Teacher in St. Patrick's Girls' High School, Halifax. In 1907, she matriculated at the University of London. From 1910 to 1913, she taught in the Academy of Mount Saint Vincent, Halifax. The years 1913-1914, 1914-1915, 1915-1916 have been spent in residence at the Catholic Sisters College, Catholic University of America. The degree Bachelor of Arts was received in 1914, that of Master of Arts in 1915. In her graduate work, the principal courses followed have been those under J. B. O'Connor, Ph.D., and Reverend F. J. Coeln, Ph.D., to both of whom it is the writer's pleasure and honor to return thanks, but especially to Dr. J. B. O'Connor for his valuable assistance and kind encouragement in the preparation of this dissertation.
[Rev. Andrew Bernard Heider, S. M., t]he writer of this dissertation[,] was born February 23, 1880, at Steinwiesen, in northern Bavaria. In 1890 the family removed to Chicago, Ill., where he finished his primary education at St. Francis parochial school. After joining the Society of Mary (Brothers of Mary), he continued his studies at the Normal and College Department of St. Mary College, Dayton, O., receiving the degree of B.A. in 1901. He was thereafter employed in teaching in the establishments of the Society till 1906, in which year he was sent by his superiors to pursue his theological studies at the University of Fribourg, Switzerland. Ordained in 1909, he was recalled and employed in teaching at Chaminade College, Clayton, Mo., mother-house of the St. Louis Province of the Society of Mary. During two years he held the office of President of the boarding college annexed to that institution. Since 1915 he has been a graduate student in the School of Letters of the Catholic University, attending lectures in English under Dr. Lennox and Dr. Hemelt, in Greek under Dr. O'Connor, and in Latin under Dr. Maguire and Dr. O'Connor. He obtained the degree of M.A. in June, 1916.
Thomas Edward Ameringer was born at Cincinnati, Ohio, February 19, 1886. He received his elementary education in the parish schools and his classical training in St. Francis Seraphic College (now St. Francis Preparatory Seminary) of the same city. He entered the Order of Friars Minor August 15, 1903. After his religious profession he made his philosophical and theological studies in the monasteries of his province at St. Bernard, Ohio, Louisville, Kentucky, and Oldenburg, Indiana. He was raised to the priesthood June 22, 1911. From 1911-1918 he was instructor in Latin and German at St. Francis Preparatory Seminary. In January, 1919, he entered the Catholic University of America, where, in June, 1920, he received the degree of M.A. during his course at the University he attended the lectures of Roy Joseph Deferrari, M.A., Ph.D., on Greek and Latin Literature, and of Rev. James Aloysius Geary, A.B., on Comparative Philology.
Leo Vincent Jacks was born at Grand Island, Nebraska, March 14, 1896. He received the A.B. degree from St. Mary's College, St. Mary's, Kansas, in June, 1917. He served in the U. S. Army from 1917 to 1919 inclusive, with the Thirty-fourth Division in the United States, and with the Thirty-second Division overseas. He received the A.M. degree from the Catholic University of America in 1920. During his course at the Catholic University he has attended the lectures of Roy J. Deferrari, AM, Ph.D., in Greek, Latin, and Sanskrit Languages and Literatures, and of the Rev. J. P. Christopher, AM, in Latin, and of J. M. Campbell, AM, in Greek, and of Charles H. McCarthy, Ph.D., in American History.
James Marshall Campbell was born at Warsaw, New York, September 30, 1895. He received his elementary education at the Warsaw Union and High School. In June, 1917 he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts from Hamilton College. The following September he entered the Princeton Graduate School on the Locke fellowship in Greek that had been awarded him by Hamilton College. At Princeton he pursued courses under Professor Edward Capps, Associate Professor F. L. Hutson, Dr. Paul Van den Ven, and Dr. Roy J. Deferrari. These studies were interrupted by the Great War. In September, 1919, still enjoying the Locke Fellowship and thereafter a Knights of Columbus Fellowship, he entered the Catholic University of America. There he pursued courses under Professors R. J. Deferrari, James Joseph Fox, Charles A. Dubray, S. M., Ignatius Smith, O. P. and Charles H. McCarthy. In June 1920 he received the degree of Master of Arts from the Catholic University.
Elsie Marie Parsons was born at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, November 18, 1881. She received her elementary and high school education in the Academy of the Sisters of Notre Dame of Namur at Philadelphia. In 1904 she received the AB degree from Trinity College, Washington, DC. In 1911 she received the AM degree from the same institution. In 1904 she entered the novitiate of the Sisters of Notre Dame of Namur at Namur, Belgium, and was given in religion the name of Sister Wilfrid. In 1909 she was appointed to teach Latin at Trinity College and has since continued to do so. In preparation for the Ph.D. degree she has done a large part of her work in Latin, Greek and Sanskrit Languages and Literatures under Professor Roy J. Deferrari, Ph.D., of the Catholic University.
The author of this dissertation, Sister Mary Columkille Colbert, was born March 16, 1884, in Cappoquin, County Waterford, Ireland, and pursued her elementary and intermediate studies in her native town under the direction of the Sisters of Mercy. In 1900 she entered the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, San Antonio, Texas. She received her AB degree from the Catholic University of America in 1912 and in the same year began graduate work, receiving the M.A. degree in 1913. While pursuing graduate work she attended the lectures of Dr. Deferrari, Dr. Wright and Dr. Bolling, in Latin and Greek literature; Dr. Shields in education; and Dr. Turner in philosophy.
Francis Xavier J. Exler was born at Winssen, Netherlands, November 30, 1891. He received his elementary education in the parish schools, and his classical training in the preparatory seminary of the archdiocese of Utrecht and in the Latin School of Gemert. He entered the Order of the Canons Regular of Premontre at St. Norbert's Priory, West Depere, Wis., on August 28, 1909. He took his simple vows on August 28, 1911, and made his solemn profession on August 28, 1914. He was raised to the priesthood on October 17, 1914. Until June 1918 he was instructor in Greek and Latin at St. Norbert's College. He entered the United States Army and was commissioned a Chaplain with station in the Philippine Islands. Upon his discharge from the army in July 1919 he resumed his teaching at St. Norbert's College. In September 1920 he entered the Catholic University of America, where, in June 1921, he received the degree of M.A. during his course at the University he attended the lectures of Roy Joseph Deferrari, M.A., Ph.D., in Greek, Latin, and Sanskrit Languages and Literature; of the Rev. J. P. Christopher, M.A., in Latin; of J. M. Campbell, M.A., in Greek; of the Rev. A. A. Vaschalde, STL, Ph.D., in Arabic; and of the Rev. R. Butin, SM, STL, Ph.D., in Hebrew and in Aramaic.
Mary Therese Barry entered Our Lady of the Lake College, San Antonio, Texas, in 1909. In 1911 she was received as a member of the Congregation of the Sisters of Divine Providence and was given in religion the name Sister M. Inviolata. In 1919 she received the AB degree from the above mentioned institution, and in 1921 the AM degree from the Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C. In preparation for the Ph.D. degree she has done the major portion of her work in Latin, Greek and Sanskrit Languages and Literature under Dr. Roy Joseph Deferrari of the Catholic University of America.
The writer of this dissertation, Reverend Graham Reynolds, was born at the State Agricultural College, Michigan, October 5, 1887. He was Baptized on May 22, 1912. He was ordained a priest of the diocese of Los Angeles on June 2, 1917, at St. Patrick's Cathedral, New York City. His primary and secondary education was received principally in the common schools of Pasadena, California. He was for four years an undergraduate at Yale College, receiving the B.A. degree in 1910. For a year he studied at the General Theological Seminary in New York City. He spent five years at St. Joseph's Seminary, Dunwoodie, New York. In 1918 he was appointed instructor in Latin in the Catholic University of America. Later he studied a year at the Institut Catholique of Paris and at the Sorbonne, attending the lectures of Rev. Paul Lejay, Rev. P. Rousselot, Professor Frederic Plessis, and Professor Henri Goelzer, being admitted in June, 1919, by the Faculty of Paris, to the degree of Licencie es Lettres. During the two years, 1919 to 1921, he was a resident member of Lincoln College, Oxford. There he attended the lectures of Professor A. C. Clark, Professor Gilbert Murray, Professor Joseph Wright, E. C. Marchant and F. W. Hall. At the Catholic University of America he has attended the lectures of Professor Roy J. Deferrari.
The author of this dissertation, Frederick Walter Augustine Dickinson, was born in Chicago, Illinois. After having been prepared at the East Denver High School, Denver, Colorado, he entered the University of Colorado, where he was a student during the years 1912-1914. In the year 1914, he entered Hobart College, Geneva, New York, from which he was graduated with the degree of B.A. in 1915. He spent the following year at Hobart College, engaged in graduate study, and received the degree of M.A. in 1916. He went then to Cornell University, where he was University Fellow in Greek during the year 1916-1917. He was ordained Priest of the Congregation of Saint Paul the Apostle, in the Chapel of Saint Paul's College, The Catholic University of America, on December 11, 1921. In 1922, he matriculated as a graduate student in the School of Letters at the Catholic University of America. In preparation for the Ph.D. degree, he has done work in Greek with the Reverend J. M. Campbell, Ph.D.; in Latin, with Professor Roy J. Deferrari, Ph.D., Head of the Department of Latin; and with the Reverend J. P. Christopher, Ph.D.; in Comparative Philology with the Reverend James A. Geary, B.A.; in the History of Greek and Latin Literature, with the Reverend T. J. McGourty, Ph.D.; and in Hebrew, with the Reverend Professor Romain Butin, Ph.D..
Brother Giles (Francis Joseph Mullen) was born in Somerville, Massachusetts, on February 14, 1888. After completing the courses prescribed in the Novitiate and Normal School of the Xaverian Brothers at Baltimore, Maryland, he made his collegiate studies and received from St; Xavier's College, Louisville, Kentucky, the degree AB in 1912. From 1923 to 1926 he pursued graduate studies at the Catholic University of America. There he followed courses under Dr. Roy J. Deferrari, Dr. Joseph P. Christopher, Dr. Thomas J. McGourty, Dr. James M. Campbell, and Rev. James A. Geary, receiving the degree Master of Arts in June, 1924. He welcomes this opportunity to express his deep sense of gratitude to Dr. Roy J. Deferrari, and Dr. George Johnson, for valuable aid in correcting and revising this study; and to Dr. Walton C. John, of the Bureau of Education, at whose suggestion this study was undertaken, and under whose direction it was written.
Martin Rawson Patrick McGuire was born at Whitinsville, Mass., December 30, 1897. He received his early education in the public schools of Uxbridge, Mass. In September 1916, he entered Holy Cross College, Worcester, Mass. In July 1918, he enlisted in the U. S. Army at Plattsburg, NY. From September 16, 1918 to April 2, 1919 he served as a 2nd Lt. Inf. U. S. Army at Camp Grant, Ill. In June 1921, he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts from Holy Cross College, Worcester, Mass. From September1921, to June 1924, he taught Latin, Spanish, and History at Georgetown Preparatory School, Garrett Park, MD. He entered the Catholic University of America in September 1924, from which institution he received the degree of Master of Arts in June 1925. During his course at the Catholic University he has attended the lectures of Professor Roy J. Deferrari, Ph.D., in Latin and Greek; Associate Professor J. Marshall Campbell, Ph.D., in Greek; Associate Professor Graham Reynolds, Ph.D., in Latin; Reverend James A. Geary, AB, in Comparative Philology; and Professor Joseph Dunn, Ph.D., in Old, and Middle Irish.
George William Patrick Hoey was born in San Francisco, California, February 20, 1880. He received his elementary education in the schools of that city. He made his classical studies at St. Patrick's Seminary, Menlo Park, California. He studied philosophy and theology in the Seminary of St. Sulpice, Paris, where he was ordained priest, June 29, 1907. He then became a member of the Society of St. Sulpice. In 1908 he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts from St. Mary's University, Baltimore, and entered the same year the Catholic University of America where he pursued courses of Greek and Sanscrit under Dr. George Melville Bolling, Latin under the Rev. Dr. John D. Maguire, English under Dr. Patrick J. Lennox and Old and Middle Irish under Dr. Joseph Dunn. He taught Greek at the first three sessions of the Catholic University Summer School, 1911-1913. From 1911 to 1924 he was professor of Latin and Greek at St. Patrick's Seminary, Menlo Park, California, and from 1924 to 1928 at St. Joseph's College, Mountain View, California. Since 1928 he has been professor of Latin at St. Charles College, Catonsville, Maryland.
Laura Beatrice Getty was born in Danielson, Connecticut, July 4, 1885. She completed her elementary education with the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Hartford, Connecticut. Having graduated from Killingly High School, she studied French and Music at the Young Ladies' Boarding School under the direction of the Sisters of the Presentation of Mary, St. Césaire, Canada; and two years later, she entered the Congregation of these Sisters and was given the name of Sister Marie Madeleine of Jesus. After receiving her Academic Normal School Diploma. from the Board of Public Instruction, Quebec, she was sent to the Catholic University, Washington, DC, where she obtained the AB degree in 1922. She was employed at the Provincial House of the Congregation at Saint Hyacinth, Quebec, until 1927, when she returned to the Catholic University where the AM degree was conferred upon her in June, 1928. In September, 1929, she returned to the Catholic University to fulfill the requirements for the Ph.D. degree.
William Francis Dwyer was born in Hartford, Connecticut, August 5, 1895. His elementary training was received in that city at St. Joseph's Cathedral School and at the Immaculate Conception School. He was graduated from the Hartford Public High School in 1912 and from St. Thomas' Preparatory Seminary, Hartford, in 1914. His philosophical training was received at St. Mary's Seminary, Baltimore, Maryland, from which he received the degree of AB in 1916. His theological course was made at St. Mary's Seminary, Baltimore, and at the Sulpician Seminary, Washington, DC. On January 11, 1920, he was ordained to the priesthood at Hartford, Connecticut, by the Rt. Rev. John J. Nilan, D. D. For three years and a half he performed the duties of the ministry in the diocese of Hartford, being attached to St. Rose's Church, New Haven, Connecticut. In September, 1923, he entered the novitiate of the Sulpicians at Catonsville, Maryland, and became a member of the Society the following June. From September, 1924, to June, 1927, he was an instructor in Latin and English at St. Charles' College, Catonsville. In September, 1927, he entered the School of Letters at the Catholic University, from which he received his M.A. degree in 1929. While at the Catholic University he pursued courses in Latin under Professor Roy J. Deferrari and Dr. Martin R. P. McGuire; in Greek under Associate Professor James M. Campbell; and in Comparative Philology under Rev. James Geary.
Mathilde Marie Diederich was born at Madison, Wisconsin, November 4, 1889. She received her early education at the Holy Redeemer Parochial School and at the Madison Central High School. In 1913 she was received as a member of the Congregation of the School Sisters of Notre Dame and was given in religion the name Sister Mary Dorothea. In 1919 she received the degree of Bachelor of Arts from Marquette University and in 1926 the degree of Master of Arts from Creighton University. She entered the Catholic University of America in September, 1928. There she pursued courses under Professor Roy J. Deferrari, in Latin and Greek; Associate Professor J. Marshall Campbell, in Greek; Dr. Martin R. P. McGuire, in History and Latin; Reverend James A. Geary, in Comparative Philology; and Brother Giles, C. F. X., in Latin.
Sister M. Theresa of the Cross (Mary Eleanor Springer) was born at Los Angeles, California, January 17, 1889. Her childhood was spent in that city and in Portland, Oregon, where she attended St. Mary's Academy and College, receiving her entire course of instruction there. She entered the Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, and taught successively in the High Schools of the Sisterhood, in Seattle, Spokane, Medford and Portland. In 1926-1927, she attended the State University of Washington, receiving her M.A. degree in 1927. In 1929, she Matriculated in the Graduate School of the Catholic University.
Louis Hrdlicka was born in Wahoo, Nebraska, on July 19, 1896, and received his elementary training in the public schools of that town and of Colon, Nebraska. He attended St. Procopius College Academy, Lisle, Ill., from 1909 to 1913, and entered St. Procopius College in the fall of the latter year. In July, 1914, he became a novice of the Benedictine Order, receiving in religion the name of Clement, and Made his novitiate at St. John's Abbey, Collegeville, Minn. He made his religious profession on July 12, 1915. Continuing his collegiate studies at St. Procopius College, he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts from that institution in June, 1918. His philosophical and theological training he received at St. Procopius Seminary from 1915 to 1921. On May 21, 1921, he was ordained to the priesthood by the Most Rev. George W. Mundelein, Archbishop of Chicago. The summer of 1921 he spent in graduate work in the Classics at the University of Chicago under Professors Paul Shorey and J. Gordon Laing. In September of the same year he entered the Graduate School of the University of Illinois and attended courses in Latin and Greek under Professors J. J. Barton, W. A. Oldfather, A. S. Pease, and H. V. Canter, and received the degree of Master of Arts in June, 1922. After spending three more semesters at that university he taught Latin and Greek at St. Procopius College until the fall of 1927, when he entered the School of Letters at the Catholic University of America and pursued courses in Latin under Professor Roy J. Deferrari, Dr. Martin R. P. McGuire, and Dom Anselm Strittmatter, O. S. B., M.A.; in Greek under Associate Professor James M. Campbell; and in Comparative Philology under Rev. James Geary. From September, 1927, to June, 1930, he was again engaged in teaching the Classics at St. Procopius College, and in the fall of the latter year he returned to the Catholic University for the purpose of completing his work for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy. He is a member of the following academic societies: The American Philological Association, the Medieval Academy of America, the Linguistic Society of America, and the Association Guillaume Budé.
James F. O'Donnell was born in Livingston County, New York, April 10, 1910. He received his preliminary training in the public schools. In 1929 he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts from The College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, Mass.; and in 1931, the degree of Master of Arts at The Catholic University of America. During his residence at the University from 1929-1933, as a Knights of Columbus fellow, he pursued courses in Latin under Professor Roy J. Deferrari, Dr. Martin R. P. McGuire, and the Reverend Brother Giles, C. F. X.; in Greek, under Associate Professor Reverend James M. Campbell; in General Linguistics and Comparative Philology, under Reverend Dr. James Geary; and in American History, under Professor Charles H. McCarthy.
Bernard Henry Skahill was born at Cascade, Iowa, December 19, 1890. His preliminary training was received in the public school, in St. Martin's parochial High School of Cascade, and in Columbia Academy of Dubuque, Iowa. In 1910 he enrolled at Columbia College, Dubuque, Iowa, and received from that institution the degree of Bachelor of Arts in June, 1914. From 1914 to 1917 he pursued theological studies at the Grand Seminary of Montreal and received the degrees of Bachelor of Theology and Bachelor of Canon Law. He was ordained to the priesthood at Dubuque, Iowa, September 1, 1917 and was immediately assigned to the faculty of Columbia Academy, teaching courses in English and Latin. During the Summer Session of 1918 he followed Latin courses in the Johns Hopkins University, and during the Summer Session of 1920, in the University of Minnesota. During the scholastic year 1920-1921 he attended the Catholic University of America, where he pursued courses in Latin, Greek, and Comparative Philology. After receiving the degree of Master of Arts from the Catholic University in June, 1921, he was assigned to the faculty of Columbia College, where he taught Greek and Latin until June, 1932. In September, 1932, he resumed his work at the Catholic University as a candidate for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy. His courses in the Catholic University were taken under Professor Roy J. Deferrari, Dr. Martin R. P. McGuire, Dr. James Marshall Campbell, Dr. J. P. Christopher, and Dr. James A. Geary.
John Patrick McCormick was born in Baltimore, Maryland, August 1, 1904 and received his early education in that city at St. Ann's School and Calvert Hall. In October 1918, he entered St. Charles College at Catonsville, Maryland, where he completed the four years of high school and the first two years of college. From September 1924 to June 1927 he was a student of the Basselin Foundation at the Catholic University, receiving the degree of AB in 1926 and the degree of M.A. in Philosophy in 1927. His theological course was made at the Sulpician Seminary, Brookland, DC, from 1927 to 1931, upon the completion of which he received the degree of STB from the Catholic University. After being ordained to the priesthood June 9, 1931, he spent a year in the novitiate of the Society of St. Sulpice, at Catonsville, Maryland. Returning to the University in 1932, he resumed studies begun in 1928 in the Department of Latin and Greek, following courses in Latin under Professor Roy J. Deferrari, Brother Giles, C. F. X., Ph.D., and Dom Anselm Strittmatter, O. S. B., M.A., in Latin and Comparative Philology under Associate Professor Martin R. P. McGuire, and in Greek under Professor James Marshall Campbell.
Anthony Blase Paluszak was born January 21, 1895, at Garrett, Indiana. In the St. Joseph's Parochial School of the same city, he received his early education. In September, 1909, he entered the Novitiate of the Society of the Precious Blood. The following year he continued his studies at St. Joseph's College, Collegeville, Indiana. Upon his graduation in 1915, he entered St. Charles Seminary, Carthagena, Ohio, where he was ordained to the priesthood on May 5, 1921. After having been engaged in parish work for two years, he was assigned the duty of teaching; at St. Charles Seminary from 1923 to 1925, and at St. Joseph's College from 1925 to 1931. In 1931 he registered as a graduate student at the Catholic University of America, choosing Latin as his Major field of study. He has followed courses under the following professors: Professor Roy J. Deferrari, Associate Professor Martin R. P. McGuire, Brother Giles, D. F. X., Ph.D., Professor James M. Campbell, and Doctor Edwin J. Auweiler.