The primary prerequisite for the Certificate program in the Department of Greek and Latin is a completed bachelor's degree in any field. Prior experience in Greek or Latin is not required. You may apply to a certificate program during your final year of undergraduate study.
Students who are entirely new to Catholic University use the graduate online application to apply to our Certificate program. Once you have created your account and started your application in the portal, make sure to choose "Non-Degree" as your status.
After you have filled out your application, you will need to add the following supplementary materials.
Required supplementary materials for application
- A 1000-word statement of purpose detailing your academic interests and goals, the career in which you are now involved or that you hope to pursue, and the reasons that you wish to apply for a language certificate.
- A statement of your previous level of attainment in Greek and/or Latin, including a list (with approximate page counts or percentages of a whole work) of any literature you have read in the original. Even if you have studied a language at the elementary level, or if you have background in self-study or in high school, please list it and describe it as precisely as you can, naming your textbook(s) if possible.
- A (non-binding) statement of the amount of calendar time you would hope to spend in pursuit of a certificate. In order to present a preliminary plan, you may wish to consult the certificate curricula and the possible schedules for their completion.
- A letter of recommendation from a university faculty member who is closely familiar with your prior academic work. If you are a member of the community with significant career experience (10+ years) in the workforce, a letter from a professional supervisor or colleague may be substituted.
- OUTSIDE OF THE APPLICATION SYSTEM: Once you have completed your application, please send an email directly to email@example.com in order to notify the department that you are in active applicant status. This will assist in the timely processing of your file.
The application deadline for Certificate students who want or need to begin coursework during the Summer Program is April 15. Other applications can be considered on a rolling basis.